Monday, February 7, 2011

Grilled Pork Satay and Pineapple Skewers ~ Restoring Domestic Balance

IMG_8781

Yesterday my husband challenged me to a Pork Tenderloin throwdown.

"But of course...!"

I was envisioning marinated pork satay skewers...a little spicy...a little sweet ...and super jam packed with flavor! A marinade that stuck to the meat and when charcoal grilled... its flavors were sealed and intensified!

My husband went with a dry rub that consisted of numerous spices from the pantry. (I'll possibly feature his recipe in my next post...we'll see)

Like the Dictionary rule in SCRABBLE...cookbooks were not permitted. (No big deal...I've made satay before.)

He was cocky...I was reserved.
He was looking over my shoulder...I kept to my station.
He questioned things I was doing...I spoke not a word.
He was confident...I was confident too.

In the end ...all agreed mine won.

My husband conceded and domestic balance ~ was restored.

IMG_8792

Grilled Pork Satay and Pineapple Skewers

Ingredients:

2 medium sized pork tenderloins, cut into 2 inch medallions (I had 25 pieces of pork)
Can of pineapple chunks, or fresh pineapple cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup Creamy Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
1/3 cup Brown sugar
1/3 cup olive oil
1 heaping tablespoon Chili Garlic Sauce
3 cloves of garlic chopped
1 tablespoon honey
Fresh ground pepper

Garnish:
Crushed Unsalted Peanuts
Scallion, chopped on a bias, sliced in strips
Lime wedges (not shown)
Cilantro (not shown)

Directions:

In a medium size bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, soy sauce, brown sugar, olive oil, chili garlic sauce, garlic and honey. (Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking but this worked for me!)

Place pork medallions in a large Ziploc storage bag and pour your marinade into the bag over top of the pork. Mix together well in the bag.

Refrigerate and let marinate at least two hours ~ this marinated six.

If using wooden skewers, make sure to keep them submerged in water for a few hours before cooking to prevent them from burning.

When ready to skewer, carefully place on one piece of pork followed by pineapple chunk ~ I did 5 pieces pork to 3 pineapple, beginning and ending with pork.

We cooked the skewers over a hot charcoal grill, turning occasionally for approximately 10 minutes. Gas grill or oven would work too. Just be sure to turn skewers at least once while cooking.

18 comments:

Clint said...

Looks positively wonderful. I'm glad you won.

But if he had won, would he have taken over your blog?

Courtney said...

I love throwdowns - happy you won! :)

By the way, I love those floral napkins - so pretty!

Unknown said...

Pork Stick throwdown! I love it! Not seeing the other contender...I'd have to go with yours as well. I'm more of a wet marinade kind of guy - especially for a quick grilling. Hopefully you didn't parade around the house struttin' the win too much :)

Marc van der Wouw said...

Great looking satay...love satay ;-)

chow and chatter said...

he he love this what fun he was a good sport to try

Suzy said...

That sound bliss; both the food and having a foodie as a husband. Mine, lovely though he is, is a meat and 2 veg type.

laurie said...

I love coming to your blog...you always have such great photos...and they make me so hungry!

The Food Hound said...

Love these flavors!! Of course you were going to win :) I've had a satay recipe in my cookbinder for a few years now and just can't get excited about it, but I can TOTALLY get excited about this!! I would make extra marinade to use as sauce!!

art is in the kitchen said...

Most delicious satay! I can already taste it reading the recipe! Your fabulous photos makes this dish even more irresistible and appetizing. Most beautiful composition, I have to say! I have been getting lots of ideas from your blog lately! Thanks so much.

Katerina said...

Beautiful satay. I am glad you won. These competitions are great because they make life more excited plus they are great stimuli for us to become even better lol.

Unknown said...

Don't boys know better than to try and take us girls on in the kitchen? lol it never works to their advantage!! :)
I love satay (just made it last night actually!!) yours looks delicious!!!

Velva said...

I am smiling!!! I can see why you won-love it. I really enjoy satays.

Velva

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

I love every thing about this post - the pictures, the story, the fact that you won and MOST of all that your hubby challenged you to a cooking throw down. Mine only comes into the kitchen to ask what's for dinner!

Simply Life said...

ha, what a fun challenge - looks like you succeeded!

Mary Bergfeld said...

When food is this good no one loses. Your satay really looks wonderful and I'm sure everyone enjoyed it. I hope you have a great afternoon. Blessings...Mary

Magic of Spice said...

How fun...I knew you won before I read down, lol
Fantastic recipe and with the peanut butter, wow! Gorgeous photos as well, I really love the second one :)

Nuts about food said...

I love that you guys have so much fun together!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Can I come over & eat with you??? This looks positively amazing! I love that you & your hubby had a throw down, no cookbooks allowed :) What FUN! Congrats on the win!